Steamed Pudding Recipe

shares



I’ve been struck down with a terrible cold all week and had such a big craving for the comfort of a steamed pudding. I wanted the goodness of a nice warm, gingery dessert without the fuss of a complex recipe and loads of dishes. Luckily I found this gem of a recipe online.
It takes 5 minutes to prep, 30 minutes to cook and has the rich taste of a much more difficult dessert than what it is. Best of all there’s minimal cleaning up – it only uses 4 bowls and you can guestimate most of the ingredients once you’ve made it a few times.

I made it three times in one week. I really am a sucker for dessert. On the second go I tried varying the ingredients to make it healthier. I’m pleased to say that it is robust to substituting half the flour for coconut flour and doesn’t reeeeeally need the sugar if you’re on a health buzz. The golden syrup already adds a lot of sweet caramel flavour.
Steamed Pudding

I’ve been intrigued with steaming things because it’s not a cooking technique I generally use but one I see all the time on cooking shows. At first I was like, how the devil can a pudding cook in boiling water but it works. I don’t understand it but I like it. My next purchase is going to have to be a bamboo steamer then I’m going to spend a week steaming the heck out of everything.

Time: 5 minutes prep and 30 minutes steam
Serves: 2
Ingredients:
•1 tbsp butter
•1 tbsp golden syrup
•1/2 cup flour (or 1/4 cup flour and 1/4 cup coconut flour)
•2 tbsp brown sugar (or white sugar or no sugar)
•2 tsp baking powder
•1/2 tsp mixed spice
•1/2 tsp ground ginger
•Pinch salt
•1 egg
•1/4 cup milk (or water if you’re desperate)

Directions:
•Firstly, get a large pot with a few cms water on the stove at a medium heat.
•Melt the butter and golden syrup then add to a ceramic bowl.
•Combine the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, spice, ginger and salt in a separate bowl before adding the egg and milk and whisking up with a fork into a pancake-ish batter.
•Pour the batter on top of the butter and golden syrup.
•Place the whole ceramic bowl into the pot of water that should now be boiling then place the lid on the pot and leave to steam for 30minutes.
Serve with custard, cream or plain old milk.

One mistake I made on my second attempt was having too much water in the pot. It’ll still work but the water will boil over into the pudding so it’s generally not ideal.
Change the amount of spice to your liking or you might want to try adding cocoa instead to make a chocolate pudding. The possibilities are endless. This recipe makes a great base for all sorts of variations plus it’s dead simple and pretty much impossible to mess up.
Trust me, if I can make it when I’m a zombie with a cold then you can make it any old time!

popular types of coffee

Related Posts

0 comments:

Post a Comment