Crispy Squid With Sweet Chilli Mayo

shares

This recipe comes from my old mate. Admittedly his looked a damn sight better than mine but hey, I will nail it next time starting with going to the effort to find some fresh squid albeit with insides, ink and other gross bits removed.

I served the crispy squid with some homemade fries and sweet chilli mayo. It completely baffles me that more people don’t make their own chips. I make them TOO much they’re THAT much better than bought or frozen chips. The sweet chilli mayo should have been harissa mayo (according to Jamie) but I couldn’t for the life of me find harissa at the super market and I’m guessing if I could, I probably wouldn’t be able to afford it anyway. Sweet chilli sauce was the perfect cheap, exciting substitute. Took me mayo to a whole new level.
Sweet Chilli Mayo

I’ve been largely unsure of squid for a very long time. I’ve had it delicious and I’ve had it like eating a gumboot, and that’s putting things euphemistically. I’m not sure the quality of my squid did this recipe justice as I was left with my mixed feelings intact. The crunchy outside was delicious and some bits of squid were perfect but there were also some that were too chewy than they should have been.

Crispy Squid With Sweet Chilli Mayo
Time: 30 minutes

Ingredients:
4-6 squid tubes (plus tentacles if you’ve got them)
2 tbsp dried oregano
1 tsp ground fennel seeds
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp lemon pepper
1/2 cup flour
Oil for deep frying

Directions:
1. Prepare the squid tubes by washing, patting dry then cutting open like a book. Score the middle side in a criss-cross.
2. Mix up the dry ingredients then coat the squid. Heat the oil in a pot (or get your deep fryer cranking if you have one). If a small chunk of bread floats to the top and starts to crisp that’s when you know it’s good to go.
3. Put the squid in and cook for about 4 minutes until golden brown. Drain on a few layers of grease proof paper then slice up ready to eat.
4. For the sweet chilli mayo just add sweet chilli sauce to mayo – easy as. I’m lucky in that my mayo was homemade with lemon and garlic.
5. If you’re using store-bought mayo then add in a squeeze of lime and some crushed garlic. If I had some on hand I would have added some fresh chopped chilli too. Get creative!

The chips are super easy too. Just chop up some potatoes in a chip-like shape, toss in olive oil, salt, pepper and paprika and bang in the oven for 30-40 minutes at 200degrees. You can sit back and feel chuffed that they’re healthier than the local chippie and you’ll never buy frozen chips again.

Recipes cheesecake

Related Posts

0 comments:

Post a Comment